Monday, February 7, 2011

Swoon


The note below was written in response to Things Can Change, Perhaps.

I know it was written by a staffer, but still. Happy Monday to me.


__________________________________

Dear Ms. Stone:
 Thank you so much for your kind words about my work in Congress. 
I appreciated reading your blog post, which mentioned my work on
 public health issues and tobacco use in particular. 

Smoking is the leading preventable cause of death in America, and I have spent 
my career in Congress working for legislation to reduce tobacco use and allow 
regulation of tobacco by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).  After decades 
working to grant FDA oversight of one of the most lethal consumer products on the 
market, I am delighted that the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act 
was signed into law on June 22 (P.L. 111-31). 

 My legislation gives the FDA a comprehensive and flexible set of 
authorities to bring meaningful and long-overdue changes to the 
manufacture, promotion and sale of tobacco.  It will end the marketing 
of tobacco to kids, stop manufacturers from calling cigarettes "light" or 
"less dangerous" when they are not, and remove toxic ingredients such as
 formaldehyde, benzene, and radioactive elements from cigarettes.  
The FDA's new functions will be fully funded through user fees paid by the 
tobacco industry. 

 I hope you will visit www.waxman.house.gov 
bout P.L. 111-31 and other issues I'm working on. 

You can count on me to continue to work for the goals 
we share, and I look forward to staying in touch with you 
on issues of concern.

With kind regards, I am


                                                                                      Sincerely,

                                                                                      HENRY A. WAXMAN
                                                                                      Member of Congress
 

No comments:

Post a Comment